The United States and Iran appear closer to a deal that would end the war that started with US-Israeli strikes on Tehran on February 28 and subsequent Iranian retaliation targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf, along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Sunday the world might “get some good news” soon after President Donald Trump announced an agreement had been “largely negotiated” and would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.
Before Trump’s announcement, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei spoke of “a trend towards rapprochement” with Washington but warned that “it does not necessarily mean that the United States and we will reach an agreement on the important issues.”
He said on state television that Iran’s “intention was first to draft a memorandum of understanding, a kind of framework agreement”, before a final deal is reached within 30 to 60 days.
What do we know about the possible agreement?
Iran’s nukes
Baghaei said that the nuclear issue was not part of an initial framework. It will rather be “subject to separate discussions” at a later stage.
But the New York Times, citing two unnamed American officials, said a key element of the proposed agreement was an apparent commitment by Tehran to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.”
The question of how Iran would do so would be discussed in “a later round of negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program,” according to the paper.
But Iran’s Fars and Tasnim news agencies reported that Iran made no commitments regarding its nuclear programme.
“Iran has made no commitment in this agreement to hand over nuclear stockpiles, remove equipment, shut down facilities, or even commit not to build a nuclear bomb,” Fars said.
Both agencies said that nuclear-related issues would be negotiated within 60 days of the understanding being signed.
Hormuz
A key sticking point in the talks is traffic through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global conduit for oil shipments that has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of the war.
Iran has insisted that vessels must obtain permission from its armed forces.
Trump said Saturday that “in addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened,” a development that would bring relief to global energy markets.
But, Fars news agency said that, if finalised, the potential agreement would preserve Iran’s management over the strategic waterway.
Tasnim reported that “the status of the Strait of Hormuz would not revert to its pre-war situation.”
It added that “the naval blockade, according to the reported framework, would also need to be fully lifted within 30 days,” referring to the US blockading Iranian ports.
Sanctions

