“Either we reach a good deal, or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Trump said, according to Axios.
Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to agree on Iran’s nuclear programme and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.
But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not agree, “we’re going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they’re about to be hit.”
Meanwhile, Iran said Saturday that it was finalising a 14-point “framework agreement” for a deal with the US but signalled that major gaps remain.
The US president struck a less upbeat tone in another Saturday morning interview with news website Axios, saying that it was a “solid 50/50” chance of a deal being struck.
Trump warned he would “blow them to kingdom come” if a deal wasn’t reached.
Both outlets also reported that Trump was scheduled to speak with Gulf leaders by phone later today.
On a visit to India, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, “There may be some news a little later today,” but added, “there may not be.”
Axios said Trump is also expected to meet Saturday with Vice President JD Vance, as well as negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner.
Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, had been in Iran this week, hoping to bring the two sides closer to an agreement.
Reports on Friday suggested that Trump was considering a fresh round of strikes on Iran, as the conflict between the two countries entered its 13th week.
Trump abruptly announced on Friday that he would be skipping his son’s wedding this weekend due to “circumstances about the government”.
RelatedTRT World – Iran, Pakistan, US report progress in talks as Tehran drafts framework

