Iran will prepare for the 2026 FIFA World Cup in Mexico after the country’s football federation confirmed that FIFA approved a request to relocate the team’s training base from the United States.
The Asian side had initially been assigned Tucson, Arizona, as their base camp for the tournament, which will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico.
However, growing political tensions in the Middle East and concerns surrounding visas and security prompted Iranian officials to seek a change.
Iranian Football Federation president Mehdi Taj announced that the team will now stay in Tijuana, a city near the US-Mexico border, although FIFA has not yet publicly confirmed the switch.

Iran cite travel and security concerns
Speaking about the decision, Taj said the federation held several meetings with FIFA officials before receiving approval for the move.
“Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had on Friday in Tehran with the respected FIFA secretary general, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved,” Taj said.
Iran are scheduled to face New Zealand and Belgium in Los Angeles before taking on Egypt in Seattle during the group stage.
Taj explained that relocating to Tijuana would reduce travel demands for the squad.
“We will be based in the Tijuana camp, which is near the Pacific Ocean and on the border between Mexico and the United States,” he said.
“The distance for us in the two games that we have in LA will be a 55-minute flight, which is a lot less compared to Tucson.”
Visa issues remain unresolved
The development comes amid continued uncertainty over visa approvals for members of Iran’s delegation ahead of the tournament, which begins on June 11.
Earlier this month, Taj disclosed that some Iranian players were still waiting to receive visas to enter the United States.
The Iranian Football Federation has also reportedly submitted a list of conditions to FIFA, including requests involving players, coaches and officials linked to compulsory military service with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio previously stated that Iranian players would be allowed into the country for the World Cup, although individuals connected to the IRGC could still face travel restrictions.
Iran are currently holding a training camp in Antalya, Turkey, as preparations continue for the tournament.

