News

Mutfwang Visits Mangu After Deadly Attack on Students

Plateau State Governor Caleb Mutfwang has condemned the killing of residents of Bin-mper community in Mangu Local Government Area, describing the incident as a brutal assault on innocent people and the peace of the state.

Mutfwang made the remarks on Thursday when he visited the affected community in Kombum District to sympathise with families and residents following the attack, which reportedly left 24 people dead.

The assault occurred on the night of Monday, August 18, when armed attackers invaded the community. Women and children were reportedly among the victims.

Addressing residents during the visit, the governor expressed regret over the loss of lives and acknowledged the responsibility of government to safeguard communities across Plateau State. He urged residents to remain courageous in spite of the tragedy, saying his administration shared in their grief and would intensify efforts to prevent a recurrence.

Mutfwang described the killings as barbaric and senseless, stressing that the attack went beyond the immediate victims and represented a challenge to the authority of the state and its commitment to protecting lives and property. According to him, the government would strengthen security arrangements around vulnerable communities and continue working with security agencies to restore lasting peace.

The governor also sought to reassure residents who feared displacement from their ancestral homes, insisting that those responsible for the violence would not be allowed to force lawful occupants from their land.

He said his administration would use every legitimate means available to ensure that affected communities remained secure and that residents retained their ancestral land.

Mutfwang further disclosed that the police had arrested some suspects in connection with the attack, adding that the state government would closely follow the investigation and ensure that those found responsible were brought to justice.

Before visiting Bin-mper, the governor paid a visit to the palace of the Mishkagham Mwaghavul, Da. Putmang Hirse. He was accompanied by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Community Engagement, Mrs Abiodun Esiet, who was also in Plateau State to commiserate with victims of the violence.

Mutfwang told the traditional leadership that President Bola Tinubu remained concerned about insecurity in Plateau and assured residents that efforts would be intensified to tackle attacks and restore stability.

Esiet, who had earlier participated in a retreat organised by the Plateau Initiative for Development and Advancement of the Natives, PIDAN, called on stakeholders to continue promoting peaceful coexistence.

She said sustainable development would remain difficult without peace and cooperation among communities.

Responding to the delegation, Hirse thanked the governor and other officials for identifying with the Mwaghavul people at a difficult time. The traditional ruler described the attack as deliberate and disturbing, noting that many of the victims were caught unaware while they were asleep.

He said the violence was particularly painful because Mangu had maintained a reputation for peaceful coexistence among residents and visitors.

Hirse, however, said the killings would not compel the Mwaghavul people to abandon their communities.He maintained that residents would remain peaceful, law-abiding and determined to protect their ancestral heritage while supporting legitimate efforts to restore security in the area.