News

Terrorists attack Niger mosque, kidnap worshippers

Terrorists have abducted worshipers at a mosque in Dekara District in Borgu Local Government Area of Niger State.

The Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, confirmed the abduction on Saturday, August 22, 2026.

Abiodun said the incident occurred at about 2 p.m. on Friday, August 21, when the victims were observing Jumaat prayer.

Abiodun said the exact number of those kidnapped was yet to be ascertained.

According to him, the terrorists first attacked Gidan-Zana and Kpenya villages before moving to the mosque, where unspecified number of worshipers were kidnapped.

Fire guts SPAR Mall in Calabar, destroys goods worth millions

He said no life was lost, adding that joint security operatives had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

The police spokesman said: “Abiodun explained that “on 21/8/2026 at about 4 p.m., report received indicated that on same date at about 2 p.m., suspected terrorists invaded Gidan-Zana, Kpenya village via Dekara District Borgu, and Kpenya Mosque and abducted unspecified number of persons during prayers, while others escaped into the nearby forest.

“However, the developing report indicated that no life was lost, while joint security detachment had been deployed to the area for assessment and rescue operations.

“Further development will be made public.”