The news outlet claimed that the island has received attack UAVs amid fear of an invasion
Cuba has acquired more than 300 military drones from Russia and Iran and discussed possible attacks on US assets in the region, Axios claimed on Sunday, citing classified intelligence reports.
US President Donald Trump imposed an oil embargo on the Caribbean island in February, prompting blackouts and fuel shortages, and repeatedly threatened military action, saying this month that Cuba could be his next target after the war in Iran is over.
According to reports cited by Axios, Cuban officials discussed possible attacks on the US base at Guantanamo Bay, naval ships, and Key West air base in Florida. A senior US official told the outlet that the White House considers the potential use of drones by Cuba as “a growing threat.
Axios added, however, that US officials do not view Cuba as an imminent threat or believe that it was actively planning an attack.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez described the Axios report as an attempt to concoct a “fraudulent case to justify the ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and, eventually, for military aggression.” He said Cuba “neither threatens nor desires war.”
Russia, which has maintained close ties with Cuba since the Soviet times, including a history of military cooperation with Havana, did not confirm sending drones. President Vladimir Putin condemned the US-imposed blockade as unacceptable, while the Russian Foreign Ministry said Moscow was ready to offer Cuba “political, diplomatic, and material support.”
Last week, CIA Director John Ratcliffe paid a rare visit to Havana, reportedly pushing for reforms. According to the media, the US has demanded that Cuba liberalize its political system and transition from socialism to a market-based economy.
(RT.com)

