Iran has reportedly agreed in principle to surrender its stockpile of highly enriched uranium as part of wider negotiations with the United States aimed at reducing tensions and ending the ongoing conflict in West Asia.
According to a report by The New York Times, two US officials said the understanding emerged during recent diplomatic talks between Washington and Tehran. The development follows remarks by US President Donald Trump, who recently stated that both countries were nearing an agreement focused on restoring stability in the region and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Details of uranium disposal still under discussion
While officials said Iran has broadly agreed to give up its near-weapons-grade uranium reserves, the exact process for handling the material has not yet been finalised.
Read More: US-Iran tensions set to ease as interim peace deal nears completion, joint announcement likely in…
Negotiators are expected to hold further discussions on whether the uranium would be transferred to another country, diluted to lower enrichment levels, or neutralised through another method. These technical details are likely to be addressed in a separate phase of nuclear negotiations after the larger peace framework is formally approved.
The reported shift is considered significant because Iranian officials had earlier indicated that the country’s uranium reserves should remain inside Iran.
Uranium stockpile remains key concern
According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iran currently holds close to 400 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 per cent purity, a level considered close to weapons-grade material.
Israeli officials have repeatedly argued that such uranium could potentially be enriched further and used in the production of nuclear weapons.
Read More: Who was Nasire Best? 21-year-old suspect identified in shooting near White House, was once detained by US Secret Service for…; here’s what we know
The issue has remained one of the most difficult parts of the negotiations. Reports said Iranian negotiators initially wanted to delay discussions regarding the stockpile until later rounds of talks. However, US officials insisted that Iran make at least an early commitment on the issue before any broader agreement could move forward.
Washington reportedly warned that without progress on the uranium question, negotiations could collapse and military tensions could escalate again.
US had considered military options
The report also claimed that American military planners had recently reviewed possible operations targeting Iran’s uranium reserves, much of which is believed to be stored underground at the Isfahan nuclear facility.
Read More: White House shooting: US Secret Service kills man who opened fire at White House security checkpoint while Trump was in…
The site was reportedly targeted by US Tomahawk missile strikes last year. Among the options discussed were bunker-busting bombs designed to destroy deeply buried nuclear material.
At one stage, President Trump also reportedly examined the possibility of a joint US-Israeli special operation to seize the uranium stockpile. However, the plan was eventually dropped due to concerns over operational risks.
Future talks to focus on nuclear programme
Officials said upcoming negotiations are expected to address the future of Iran’s uranium enrichment programme.
The United States is reportedly seeking a long-term pause on enrichment activities, while Iran is said to prefer a much shorter restriction period.
Read More: ‘US will sell as much energy to India as…’: Rubio pitches US energy imports to PM Modi amid global fuel crisis, says Washington wants to…
The proposed agreement may also include the release of billions of dollars in frozen Iranian assets held overseas. Reports suggest that much of the financial relief linked to reconstruction and economic support would only be provided after a final nuclear agreement is successfully completed.
First published on: May 24, 2026 09:13 AM IST
Get Breaking News First and Latest Updates from India and around the world on News24. Follow News24 on Facebook, Twitter.
End of Article
Related Story










