Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has announced a N500 million endowment fund for victims of violence recorded ahead of the 2026 governorship election in the state.
The governor made the announcement on Wednesday while receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory at the August 15 governorship election.
The initiative is aimed at supporting families affected by the violence that occurred during the electioneering period. It will also provide educational support for children who lost their parents in the incidents.
Adeleke’s Special Assistant on Digital Media, Olalekan Badmus, disclosed the development in a statement shared on social media.
According to Badmus, the endowment fund was created by the Osun State Government in memory of those who lost their lives during the pre-election violence.
He also announced a separate intervention by the Adeleke family for children of deceased victims.
The family will provide full scholarships for the affected children up to university level.
The beneficiaries, according to the statement, will not be selected based on political affiliation.
Badmus said the victims to be covered by the programme would be drawn from different political parties.
“The Osun State Government establishes 500 million naira endowment fund in honour of victims of pre-election violence in Osun State.
“Adeleke family offers full scholarships to children of deceased up to University level. Victims are to cut across party lines.
“The verification and compilation will be done by a special committee to be headed by Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Adewale Egbedun,” Badmus wrote.
The special committee will be responsible for identifying eligible victims and compiling the list of beneficiaries.
The move is coming after a tense election period in Osun, where political activities were marked by allegations and reports of attacks in some parts of the state.
The issue of political violence had been a major concern before the August 15 poll.
In July, Adeleke and his major challengers, including All Progressives Congress candidate Bola Oyebamiji, joined other candidates in signing a peace agreement ahead of the election.
The candidates pledged to support a peaceful electoral process and avoid actions capable of causing violence.
The peace accord followed several calls from political parties and other stakeholders for restraint as campaigns intensified across the state.
Despite the efforts, the governor said the lives lost during the period should not be forgotten.
Speaking after receiving his Certificate of Return, Adeleke said the intervention would be humanitarian and would not be used to reward political supporters.
“This is not a political intervention. It is a humanitarian responsibility. No eligible victim will be excluded because of political affiliation, religion, ethnicity, gender or social status. In grief, there is no political party. In our common humanity, we are one people,” he said.
The governor also appealed to residents to put the election behind them and focus on rebuilding relationships across political lines.
He said his administration would govern for all residents, regardless of which candidate they supported during the election.
“The election is over. The campaign is over. The contest is over. Now is the time to govern, unite, heal and build,” Adeleke said.
He further expressed sympathy for families who lost relatives during the violence and prayed for the recovery of people who sustained injuries.
The governor also called for continued peace across the state as his administration begins another term.
Adeleke secured victory in the August 15 governorship election, defeating Oyebamiji of the APC.
The incumbent reportedly won 19 of Osun’s 30 local government areas, while Oyebamiji secured 11.
The result gave Adeleke another mandate after a closely fought campaign that featured several political parties and prominent candidates.
The governor has directed that the verification process be handled by a committee headed by the Speaker of the Osun State House of Assembly, Adewale Egbedun.
The committee is expected to establish the identities of victims and determine those who qualify for the various forms of assistance.
Nevertheless, the government is yet to announce the timeline for the commencement of disbursements or the full criteria that will guide the selection of beneficiaries.

