The Kaduna State Police Command has ordered an investigation into officers captured in a viral video allegedly collecting money from motorists and cyclists during a stop-and-search operation.
The Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, directed that the officers involved be identified and invited for questioning, warning that anyone found guilty would face disciplinary and legal action.
The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Tuesday by its Public Relations Officer, DSP Mansir Hassan.
It said routine roadblocks and stop-and-search operations had been largely restricted, except where credible intelligence indicated the movement of criminals, weapons or other prohibited items.
The command, however, said the location shown in the viral video was a suburb of Millennium City that had previously been used by criminal elements.
According to the police, operatives had recovered 20 AK-47 rifles along the route in previous operations.
The command stressed that the security situation in the area did not justify extortion, harassment or any other form of misconduct by its personnel.
“Any officer found culpable will face severe disciplinary and legal action,” the statement said.
Muhammad commended members of the public who brought the alleged misconduct to the attention of the command and urged residents to continue reporting unprofessional behaviour by police officers.
The command also encouraged residents to lodge complaints with the Police Complaint Response Unit through 09049498983, 08075391105 and 07039675856.
It reaffirmed its commitment to professional policing, accountability and the protection of residents’ rights and safety across Kaduna State.

