What appeared to be bold political calculations by some former members of President Bola Tinubu’s cabinet ahead of the 2027 general elections has turned into a risky gamble for some of them.
Several ministers had resigned from the Federal Executive Council in line with a directive from the Presidency asking political appointees seeking elective offices to step down before participating in the All Progressives Congress primaries.
However, some of the former ministers have now lost both their cabinet positions and their bids to secure party tickets.
So far, only two of the five former ministers who resigned have secured APC tickets.
The former ministers who resigned include the former Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu; the former Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali; the former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar; the former Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha; and the former Minister of State for Humanitarian Affairs, Yusuf Sununu.
While Onyejeocha and Sununu secured APC tickets in Abia and Kebbi states, respectively, Adelabu, Alkali and Tuggar lost their bids or face uncertain political futures.
Adelabu resigned as Minister of Power to contest the APC governorship ticket in Oyo State.
He was, however, defeated by Senator Sarafadeen Alli during the primary election.
Alli polled 578,143 votes, while Adelabu scored 19,193 votes.
Before the primary, Adelabu had dismissed claims that President Tinubu was backing Alli.
“Anybody saying he had a meeting with the president and that he endorsed someone is telling lies,” he said.
The former minister said he delayed his resignation from the cabinet in order to meet the President, adding that Tinubu encouraged him to pursue his governorship ambition.
“He told me, ‘Bayo, it is time. This is a long-standing ambition. I will not stop you. Go and resign and start work,’” Adelabu said.
According to him, “if the president were to back anyone, it would be me.”
After losing the primary, Adelabu rejected the outcome and alleged widespread irregularities, intimidation and manipulation during the exercise.
Former Minister of Transportation, Saidu Alkali, also resigned to contest the APC governorship ticket in Gombe State.
He lost the primary to Jamilu Gwamna, who was said to have enjoyed the backing of Governor Inuwa Yahaya.
Alkali later boycotted the process, alleging a lack of fairness and credibility.
He eventually came third in the primary, behind former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Prof. Isa Ali Pantami.
Pantami scored 12,120 votes to emerge first runner-up, while Alkali polled 11,612 votes.
Announcing the results, the Chairman of the election committee, Senator Abubakar Danladi, said the committee received written notices of withdrawal from Pantami and Alkali.
He, however, explained that the withdrawal letters were submitted after the electoral process had commenced and their names had already appeared on the ballot papers, so votes were still recorded for them.
Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, resigned before the March 31 deadline.
He formally submitted his resignation letter on March 30, 2026, through the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
“Today, I formally submitted my resignation letter as Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs at the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, in line with the directive of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, and the provisions of the Electoral Act,” he wrote.

