Munir played a central role in that round, greeting both delegations and showing public warmth with US Vice President JD Vance.
But the talks failed, with Iran accusing Washington of making “excessive demands”. Since then, the two sides have traded proposals under the constant threat of renewed war.
Related
Hormuz squeeze
Rubio, speaking on the margins of a NATO meeting in Sweden, said there had been “some progress” in the talks, but warned that Washington was “not there yet”.
“It may not” change, Rubio said. “We’re dealing with a very difficult group of people. And if it doesn’t change, then the president’s been clear he has other options.”
Rubio said Trump “prefers the negotiated option” but had expressed concern that a deal “maybe…is not possible”.
He also said Trump’s “disappointment” with NATO allies over their lack of support in the Iran war would need to be “addressed”.
European countries may need a “Plan B”, Rubio said, to help force open the Strait of Hormuz if the war drags on.
Tehran effectively closed the key shipping lane, which normally carries large volumes of oil and gas, in retaliation for the US-Israeli strikes.
The future of Hormuz remains a key sticking point, with fears growing that the global economy will suffer as pre-war oil stockpiles run down.
Markets nevertheless took some comfort from the diplomacy, with Wall Street rising Friday and the Dow closing at a second straight record high as investors bet talks could eventually produce an off-ramp.
Oil prices also rose, however, underscoring fears that disruption in Hormuz will keep feeding inflation. US consumer sentiment fell to its lowest level since records began in 1952, with high prices still eroding household finances.
European Union nations moved on Friday towards sanctions on Iranian officials and others blamed for blocking the strait.
Baqaei said Hormuz and the US blockade of Iranian ports were also under discussion.
“The issue of ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon, is very important,” he added.

