The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has said major road projects in Abuja will be completed by December 2026 and early January 2027 as part of efforts to improve infrastructure and ease traffic across the capital.
Wike gave the assurance on Tuesday after inspecting the ongoing construction of the Inner Southern Expressway, also known as Goodluck Jonathan Way, and the service carriageways of the Southern Parkway in Gaduwa District.
The minister said the completion of the projects, some of which had suffered years of delays, would significantly transform Abuja’s landscape and improve connectivity across the Federal Capital Territory.
“I am quite confident by December ending, God willing, these two projects will have been delivered to us, and you can imagine what the landscape will be,” Wike said.
He said the completed interchanges and carriageways would not only improve the appearance of the city but also help decongest major traffic corridors and create smoother movement within the FCT.
Wike also highlighted the economic benefits of the projects, noting that youths in communities around the construction sites had been engaged in the projects.
He commended the main contractor, China Geo-Engineering Corporation, for maintaining round-the-clock construction activities on the Southern Parkway and Inner Southern Expressway.
The minister recalled that the Inner Southern Expressway project was awarded in 2014 but had experienced prolonged delays.
He attributed the recent acceleration of work to funding support from the Federal Government and thanked President Bola Tinubu for approving the release of funds for Phase One of the ISEX project.
According to Wike, the phase includes two major interchanges and more than five kilometres of road infrastructure.
He also praised CGC for continuing with construction despite delays in initial mobilisation, urging other contractors working on FCT projects to prioritise development alongside commercial interests.
“Everything is not about profit; sometimes it is about your contribution to the development of the area. Money will come at the end of the day,” he said.
Wike assured contractors that the FCT Administration would meet its financial obligations and warned companies against allowing external pressures to slow down ongoing projects.
He said the administration remained committed to delivering critical infrastructure that would modernise Abuja and improve the quality of life for residents.

