The 2027 Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has strongly condemned the spate of deadly attacks recorded in Benue, Plateau and Niger states.
This was just as he warned that Nigeria must not be allowed to degenerate into a “killing field.”
Obi, who expressed concerns over the worsening security situation across the country, said the recent attacks in the three North-Central states were evidence of a broader national security crisis that required urgent and coordinated action from the government.
In a statement posted on his X handle on Sunday, the former Anambra State governor questioned the continued killings of Nigerians in their communities despite the absence of a formal war.
“What is happening to our country?” Obi asked, noting that deadly attacks had recently struck Benue, Plateau and Niger, with communities reportedly subjected to killings, abductions, destruction of homes and the loss of farmlands.
He cited reports of the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents reportedly put the death toll above 30. More than 45 houses were also said to have been destroyed.
Obi also referred to reported attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where more than 40 people were allegedly killed and over 100 abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.
The NDC presidential hopeful said the situation was compounded by the continuing violence in Benue, where communities have repeatedly faced attacks, abductions and the destruction of homes and livelihoods.
According to him, the violence in the three states should no longer be treated as isolated incidents, stressing that similar attacks were occurring in other parts of the country, with some incidents allegedly going unreported.
“Why is Nigeria not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms?” he queried.
Obi called on the Federal Government, state governments and other relevant authorities to urgently strengthen security measures, improve intelligence gathering and enhance rapid-response capabilities.
He also demanded the rescue of abducted Nigerians and the arrest and prosecution of those responsible for the attacks.
“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.
The former governor added that the protection of lives and property remained the most fundamental responsibility of government, insisting that Nigerians deserved effective protection from armed attacks.
His comments came against the backdrop of a deadly attack in Plateau State, where no fewer than 26 people were reportedly killed in Binper community, Mangu Local Government Area.
The attack, which residents said occurred between midnight on Monday and the early hours of Tuesday, August 18, involved heavily armed assailants who reportedly moved from house to house, forcing their way into homes and attacking residents while they slept.
An eyewitness, Daniel Musa, said more than 26 deaths had been confirmed by Tuesday morning, while several others sustained serious injuries and some residents remained missing.
“Our village came under attack last night and in the early hours of today, Tuesday, by heavily armed persons. They were moving from house to house, opening the doors of people who were sleeping and slaughtering them,” Musa reportedly said.
Another resident, John Dalyop, described the attack as “terrible” and called on the newly appointed Commissioner of Police in the state to swiftly track down those responsible.
Dalyop said the government needed to strengthen security around vulnerable communities in Mangu and other parts of Plateau State.
Victims who sustained injuries were reportedly taken to nearby hospitals, while community leaders and residents began efforts to account for those still missing.
Security personnel were subsequently deployed to the community to restore calm and prevent further attacks.

